Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Wonder Dog ETF Basket (EEM, EWA, EWC, EWH, EWS, EWW, EWZ, FXI, ILF, QQQQ, XLP)

here's an example of how I have been wasting my time recently.

I was wondering how many of the 40 symbols that constitute our Equity ETF Index are trading higher than they were 3 years ago. the answer is 11:

EEM
EWA
EWC
EWH
EWS
EWW
EWZ
FXI
ILF
QQQQ
XLP

mostly the high flying international Wonder Dogs, but a couple US oriented funds mellow out the list a bit.

so I am like, I wonder what a chart of all those symbols combined would look like? so I downloaded the price history for each one from yahoo, then took the 'adjusted close' column (which adjusts for dividends and any splits) for each one, and then just added them all together. the total for the basket now comes to $408.16. three years ago the basket was running about $328.

naturally, I wanted to see if the charts of this basket had anything to say, so I made up several of differing time frames. here's the longest, going back 1300 trading days:



800 days:



500 days:



300:



200:



100:



my conclusion? interesting charts, but I don't see anything to either alter my primary view of the markets, or really reinforce said view. another morning wasted I guess. but hey, at least it was my morning and not yours.