Sunday, February 7, 2010

Not a gambling man (or, Yahoo!, The White Castle of the Internet)

So Henry Blodget and his side-kick Aaron (or is Henry Aaron's side-kick? I get confused) spend several minutes rapping about all the bad stuff happening in the world and how the markets are vulnerable and on and on....



...then toward the end Blodget throws in a disclaimer or qualifier what have you, saying, "I wouldn't bet on it [but..]"

Wouldn't bet on it? Come on Henry, what business is this anyway?

So I'm at yahoo! and want to comment on this Tech Tickler video but you have to log in to yahoo to post a comment. Fine, whatever, I remembered I had a yahoo! account from years ago, thought I'd see if I could access it. Yeah it's still there. But I am trying to update my profile information and find that yahoo!'s member pages are just totally unnavigable. Seriously, they got like five different pages that you need to go to to change profile info etc (and they want you to put your phone number and mailing address in there?? WTF?) and it's all very disjointed. Total clusterfuck.

Now I use yahoo! finance frequently to get quick looks at company stats, even though they often have inaccurate data, I am familiar with the layout, but beyond that small bit of utility (and I could easily go elsewhere) I am not sure what purpose yahoo! has for existing. Hopefully someday Microsoft actually will buy it, just to put it out of its misery.

Some months ago I wrote that you could just short any company with an exclamation mark (!) in the official company name. I think that is still a valid strategy.

(Oh, and by the way, I don't really have anything against Henry Blodget, seems like an okay guy actually, I just think it odd that someone can have such an adamant view about the markets, but then say, "I wouldn't bet on it.")