Wednesday, March 3, 2010

And here I thought I got some fan mail...

No joke. I am browsing the markets this morning, when I notice I got a new message in my email inbox. I toggle over to that tab in my browser to see what it is. The first thing I view is the title:

Are You a Natural

but in my conceit I read it as 'You are a natural,' and thought someone was sending me some fan mail. I didn't notice the actual word order till several minutes later...

So with the initial thought it was fan mail, I get a warm glow for a sec, until I notice that the message was sent from Matt Furey, the fitness guru. I'd like to say Matt and I are pretty tight, but actually I've never come close to meeting the guy, the mail was just the latest from his opt-in email marketing campaign, which I signed on to a couple years ago. A successful campaign I dare say, as I end up buying a batch of his books a while back, and I hardly ever buy anything.

So I laugh at my ego (sidebar: thought of a new industry for the new age last night -- Ego-Tourism) and open up the email. The message was just what I needed, though perhaps not wanted, to hear. So I hope Matt Furey doesn't mind if I make some extended quotes of the email here:

You're a Natural

Hi Kyle,

Last weekend my son struck out the side in a Little
League baseball game.

On Sunday a friend came over to work out with me.
He asked how the game went and I gave him the
scoop about how my youngin' whiffed three batters
in a row.

He then turns to my son and says, "You're a
natural."

I immediately recoiled and said, "He's a natural
at knowing he better practice if he's going to be
good."

...

Regardless of who praises you and for what -
you practice.

Regardless of who criticizes you and for
what - you practice.

...

Show me how you practice - and later still, how you
play - and even more so, how you react to victory -
as well as defeat - then we'll see how 'natural' you
are.

When you are at your best, when you're most natural
at what you do - that's the day when you know you've
put in your time and paid your dues via the power of
repetition.


You can read the entire message on his blog (click here).

Matt Furey is a master of internet marketing (and to be clear, this is unsolicited and uncompensated praise). Three main reasons come to mind:

1) He has a quality product. For example, his flagship 'Combat Conditioning' course is well worth the money. His other stuff is probably good too, though Combat Conditioning is the only purchase I've made from his store.

2) Repetition. The guy is always at it. If memory serves, I get at least a few, and sometimes several, of these emails every week.

3) Matt always has something worthwhile to say in these marketing emails. Yes, he is trying to sell me something, but even after I bought what I needed from him, I never (in two years) marked his mail as spam, or attempted on unsubscribe. In fact, I think his is the only sales email that still reaches my inbox, while dozens of others are rotting in the spam drawer. This is simply because I enjoy reading his notes, sometimes I learn something, sometimes he makes me think, &c. Sure he is a fitness guru, a far cry from my primary focus (the only physical activity I've ever mastered through repetition is the art of rolling a cigarette) but he writes great stuff about life, and how to be successful and what not.

And thus concludes a rambling profile of Matt Furey, 'Zen Master'. Time for me to get back to work...